Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Take that evil carpet!

I'm absolutely shattered, at short notice I went with my parents and Angel to their new place on the coast. The builders will be arriving a week early, so the place needed the old carpets taking up and the wallpaper stripping.

It takes a couple of hours to get there by car and once we had got there, I got changed into some crappy clothes and got to work straight away. The carpet has been there for ever!

There were bits of the carpet that had been covered since installation and the colour was so vibrant compared to what was removed, this carpet had been there so long that it had rings sewn into the bottom and each of the rings was looped over a nail in the floor, all the edges were folded back and stitched in place and the underlay didn't quite reach the edges to account for that extra thickness. I've never seen anything like it, so I'm guessing that this is how carpets were laid properly (before carpet rails were invented). Underneath the underlay, we found an old newspaper spread out, it was dated 10th May 1963, so the carpet had been laid originally some 10 years before I was even born! Now that is a hardwearing carpet!

Are you bored with the carpet anecdote yet? :)

I'll shut up now. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home