Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Christmas party

This evening I went to a Christmas party with a bunch of guys I used to work for a couple of years back.

It was good seeing them, even if I don't get to work for them any more. We met up at Waxy O'Connors pub, and had a few drinks. I was the first one there, I'm the anal control freak for a reason. :)

When we had had a couple of beers, we went on for a great meal at the Joy King Lau Chinese restaurant. Everyone ordered what they wanted, then we all dipped into whatever appeared on the Lazy Susan as she spun on by. Conversation was great, the food was great, the atmosphere and the booze were great too! I got to try Chinese style rice wine, warmed with a little sugar by comparison to the much subtler flavoured Japanese rice wine Sake which is cooled and unadulterated.

The service was great, and the only crappy part of the night was trying to get home, we finally fell out of the restaurant at just the point of the evening when every cab is taken by a drunkard stumbling out of a pub.

I even managed to hail a cab, but 10 yards short of me, he stopped at a crossing and the bloke on the crossing changed his mind and got in the cab. Bastard! That was all my Christmas good will for the evening lost. :)

J and I eventually got home and chatted for a while, then we've both gone to our respective beds exhausted. And here I laze typing my entry for the day, replentant, semi-drunk and thanking the Lord for laptops with wifi. :)

Oh yeah, there was one other thing... I have the job, the one I did the final telephone interview for when Crazy Lady came online to chat to me.

Problem is they want to pay £400/day (about £100-200/day less than I usually command). I can probably make the figures add up and buy the house comfortably, but I'll be spending all my liquid reserves to do so, and on that low an income, I won't be able to build up a reserve again. That's a bit of a bugger, as it means at the end of this contract, I'll have to get another one immediately, or I'll be in shit on the mortgage payments... Bummer.

Anyway, more tomorrow on how that turns out.

Nighty night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home