Saturday, October 02, 2004

Serial Obsessive

I stumbled across a reference today, that someone had written about themselves. (Sorry I've lost the link, if I track it down, I'll add it here later. )

In this admission, they declared themselves to be a serial obsessive, and went on to explain what that meant to them. The gist of which was that, this person would devote all their waking attention on one thing, then slowly peter out, then in the final stages of the current obsession, find something new to obsess about. Thus continuing the cycle.

This struck a cord.

I have had a quick look at my actions over the last few years, no scratch that, over all my adult life since teenagedom, and I have come to the conclusion that I too am a serial obsessive, although in my case, I think I am a little more "layered" in my obsessional manner.

I tend to fixate on one major thing, but at the same time I am dealing with many minor obsessings. For example right now my primary fixation is pretty much obvious to everyone that knows me (even slightly), but I have an inordinate number of things I am devoting my time to when I am not dealing with my primary compulsion.

I'm pretty sure this behaviour is not good for the soul, certainly it isn't good for my soul, and I'm relatively sure its not helping the people around me in any way shape or form.

Here's a quick example of what runs though my head for a minute or so:
  1. BIG - The primary craze in my life right now.
  2. Kingdom of Loathing
  3. BIG
  4. Overcoming Overeating
  5. Getting Things Done
  6. BIG
  7. Looking for a new job
  8. Fixing my TiVo
  9. BIG
  10. BIG
  11. Cooking
  12. Eating
  13. BIG
  14. Cleaning
  15. Introspecting
  16. BIG
  17. Blogging
  18. BIG
  19. Blogging
  20. Eating
  21. BIG
  22. Exercise
  23. Weight
  24. BIG
  25. BIG
  26. Blogging
  27. Eating
  28. Weight
  29. BIG
Can you see the circular nature of this? That's just what came out when I was typing and not thinking, imagine how I get when I'm focused

Problem is that the major obsession right now, is pretty sure to become harmful at some point. Once again, I'd like to point out that insight into the problem does not help with the rectification.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home